The demand for software engineers in startups is higher than ever. If you're a developer thinking about switching jobs, you have the freedom to aim high with what you expect from your job:
- Do you want to have more of a product focused role or a more tech focused role?
- Do you want to be more of a specialist or generalist developer?
- Do you want to deal with big data?
- Do you hope no one expects you to call yourself a rock star, ninja, or guru?
- Do you favor equity or salary compensation?
- Do you want a job that lets you work on open source software on the clock?
- Do you want to work at a company that allows some remote work?
- Do you want a job that allocates an education/conference budget for each developer?
- Do you want to get as far away from the finance industry as possible?
- "I love this specific company in your portfolio. I have a background in ___, and I'm interested in doing ___ for them."
- "I have a background in ___, and I'm looking for an opportunity where I can ___ (or that allows me to ___). Do you have any portfolio companies like that?"
- Accel Partners - dlevine at accel.com
- Atlas Venture - dustin at atlasventure.com
- Commonwealth Capital Ventures - Joel at commonwealthvc.com
- FirstMark Capital - dkozikowski at firstmarkcap.com
- First Round Capital - talent at firstround.com
- Google Ventures - lindsayg at google.com
- IA Ventures - jobs at iaventures.com
- Ignition Partners - cam at ignitionpartners.com
- KPCB - andy.chen at kpcb.com
- Sequoia Capital - bott at sequoiacap.com
- Thomvest - Andrew at thomvest.com
- True Ventures - jobs at trueventures.com
- Union Square Ventures - gary at usv.com
When you contact them, include the word "developer" in the subject line.
Hirelite is on a mission to put headhunters out of business. We host speed interviewing events using video chat where 20 job seekers talk to 20 companies for 5 minutes each. If you're looking to evaluate the software job market or looking to hire, check out Hirelite.com. We currently host web events focused on NYC, San Francisco/Silicon Valley, and Boston.